Saturday, May 5, 2012

cooking woes

I think I like the idea of cooking more than I like cooking itself. I love browsing the internet looking through cooking tutorials, or flipping through cook books planning out the perfect meal in my head. I'm a bit of a clean freak (which I get from my mother), I can't stand for the kitchen to be messy, or for the sink to have any dirty dishes in it. So in the end, I end up stressed out and worrying about having to clean every 5 minutes instead of actually focusing on the food.

Tamagoyaki (Japanese rolled omelet) 
A couple of days ago, however, I discovered Kfoodaddict and I was inspired to make something from one of the posts; I settled on one called Mussamali, which is an assortment of veggies and meat wrapped in tasty pickled radish. Sounds simple enough, eh? I thought so too. Right until I realized that given the fact that I live in a town of about 5k people with an almost nonexistent asian population, finding said wraps would be a nightmare. So, I decided I would go ahead and make the wraps myself. How hard could it be to pickle sliced radish? After work I proceeded to hit up every grocery store on the search for white radish/daikon, only be disappointed. All three (yes, there are only three) grocery stores in town do not carry white radish! And so, I came back home and decided to cook up a quick snack to cheer myself up. I ended up making tamagoyaki, and albeit tasty, it was not what my taste buds had been yearning for. I came across an online store that carries pickled white radish, and I am tempted to order it, however as desperate as I am about trying Mussamali, I am not 100% sold on the idea of ordering food online. 

--
EPIK update: final documents have arrived in Seoul! got confirmation from my coordinator that everything is in order, and I am now just to play the waiting game a little bit longer until I find out for sure if I'll be receiving a notice of appointment. It's relieving in a way because all of the long and grueling paperwork is out of the way until it comes time to apply for the visa, but I am not known for being the most patient person, so going almost two months without hearing anything back is killer. I currently have about 25 hours left of the online TEFL to complete, and it is driving me utterly insane! As soon as I think I'm making progress I get stumped on something and cannot move forward. I have until May 10th to complete otherwise I'll have to pay about 75$ to extend it for 30 days; today is May 5 so I have roughly 4.5 days to finish. I hope I can do it because I definitely do not have the funds at the moment. I wish I could take time off from my full time job until I finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment